from The Azure Podcast , on 12/9/2017 , played: 393 time(s)
In this special All-UK episode, Russell Young has an in-depth discussion with Christos Matskas, a Senior Azure PFE in the UK, about the growing popularity of serverless computing in Azure using services like Functions and Event Grid.
Social Media: https://cmatskas.com https://twitter.com/christosmatskas
Resources on Azure bits:
- Architecture best practices: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-best-practices
- Function Proxies: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-proxies
- Functions Runtime: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-runtime-overview
- Durable Functions: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/durable-functions-overview
- Functions & Containers: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/appserviceteam/2017/11/15/functions-on-linux-preview/
Indexed audio: https://www.videoindexer.ai/media/5bd125a054/
Enabling Storage Service Encryption at rest for all new data coming to Azure Backup from on-premises and in cloud
In DevTest Labs, you can post announcements to notify users about recent changes or additions to your lab, and custom images with licensing terms are now enabled
Azure Migrate service launched in preview https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/blog/launching-preview-of-azure-migrate/
Provides guidance, insights and mechanisms to help you migrate to Azure (IaaS)
Azure Advisor - new dashboard and some new functionality (best practices advisor) gives recommendations on high availability, security, performance and cost across your subscription
Elastic DB tools for Java (support for cross shard query, aimed at multi-tenant SaaS apps), routing of data to correct shards based on keys and shard map management.
Able to run Azure CLI within VS Code now directly
Azure functions runtime preview 2 - functions as a service on-prem if you want, and on Windows Nano containers.
B and M series now GA - lowest cost by giving flexible vCPU - good for small web servers, small db's, dev/test environments that have spikey workloads/util. Build up credits when cpu usage is low, to be spent when you spike. M Series are the largest VMs, up to 128 vCPUs, 4TB RAM, hyper-threading. Great for SAP HANA and SQL Hekaton
Sunset of classic portal, Jan 8th 2018